Just a few of our favorites. Call it what you will – cross-over, Celtic Rock, mongrels – most of them have one foot firmly rooted in tradition and the other on the kick-pedal of a bass drum. Irresistible!
- Great Big Sea (St. John’s, Newfoundland) Great Big Sea has its roots in St. John’s rowdy pubs. An evening in the George Street pubs is one not soon forgotten! Mix sea shanties, traditional Newfoundland folk music, Irish, Scottish and French influences with a driving beat and you've got a raucous fun time!
- Albannach (Scotland) Albannach means "Scotsman" in Scots-Gaelic and they call their music "bare knuckles pipes & drums". One piper. Four drummers. Kilts and tatoos. It's elemental. Tribal. Hair-raising. Do not miss a chance to see them live!
- Waterboys (Ireland/Scotland) We've been listening to Mike Scott and the Waterboys since their first album. Celtic influences. Literary references. Spirituality in the biggest possible sense. Haunting. Soothing. Impossible to categorize. Magic.
- The Langer's Ball (St. Paul, MN)
- Paperboys (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Town Pants (Vancouver, British Columhbia)
- Jeen O’Brien (Toronto, Ontario)
- Vishten (Prince Edward Island, Canada)
- The Navigators (Newfoundland)
- Flogging Molly (Los Angeles, CA)
- Shannygannock (Newfoundland)
Celticmongrel.com contains links to other websites. Celtic Mongrel, LLC makes no claims as to the ownership of the intellectual property on those websites. When you access a non-Celtic Mongrel website, please realize that it is independent of Celtic Mongrel. Linking to any off-site pages is at your own risk. Celtic Mongrel makes no warranties or representations about any non-Celtic Mongrel website and has no responsibility for such websites or their content. In addition, certain 3rd party sites may also provide links to other websites. No such links should be deemed to imply that Celtic Mongrel endorses such 3rd party sites or any content therein. User understands that 3rd party websites may contain inappropriate, vulgar or sexually explicit content. Celtic Mongrel is not responsible for the content on any 3rd party site.